Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Techy Tuesday - Padlet

I really don't like a handout with a bunch of links on it.  (I apologize to everyone who's ever given me a handout with a bunch of links on it.  This is absolutely nothing personal.)  But, I just lose the handout.  Or I look at the link, and it's fabulous, and then I accidentally toss the handout or tuck it away somewhere and never find it again.

I guess this whole subject is on my mind because this is, after all, PD season.  And we are all getting fabulous resources, but I really need everything to be kept in one place electronically so that when I need it, I can get to it quickly.  And there's no paper to store.  Or lose, as the case may be.

I have used PortaPortal before, and I like it.  I've also used LiveBinder, and I like it.  But, for some reason, Padlet just makes me really happy.

Here's a screenshot of a Padlet we made for our summer social studies training.  It's basically an electronic bulletin board, kind of like Pinterest, only with more options for linking.  With Pinterest, you're simply pinning an image to your board, and that image links back to the website.  Padlet works just a little differently - and better for purposes of keeping all of your links in one place.
Okay, so you see all of these tiles?  They all link to either a website, a document, or a picture or video.

Here's an example:
This particular tile is linked to the Civil War Trust website.  Another feature of Padlet that I love is that you can add descriptions for each link.  I use it to include reminders of how to find exactly what I'm looking for on the website I'm linking, so that I don't have to wade around in websites for hours just to find one thing I need.

To go to the link, all you do is click anywhere on the tile.
And the website pops up . . . but it pops up within the Padlet.  So, you're not opening a hundred million windows.  Whenever you're through working, just click the red X in the corner, and you're right back at your Padlet.

Of course, you don't have to just link to websites.  You can also upload lots of different types of files to a Padlet tile - PDF, Word, PowerPoint, etc.

Adding tiles is super easy.  You just double click anywhere on the board, and this box will pop up.  You type in the title of your link, and enter your description in the "Write something" field.  Then, you click the link icon to link to a website, click the upload icon to upload a file, or click the camera icon to upload a photo or video.  If you enter everything but want to delete it, just click the red trash can!

Padlet offers lots of options for customizing your board.

Here is how you can customize your layout.  You can change the wallpaper, how the tiles are laid out, etc.

This is the sharing option on the menu.  LOTS of possibilities.  I've even used the sharing link in a QR code that people can scan.

I've used Padlet in my classroom, too.  You can think of it as a bulletin board with virtual sticky notes that kids can place on it collaboratively.  So, they can use it to take notes as they research a topic - and then rearrange them to group their ideas for writing!  They can use Padlet as an exit ticket collector, where you provide a quick quiz and then they log into Padlet and place their answers on exit tickets that you can then save and capture.  Students could also use Padlet to debate a topic - color code the "stickies" according to the side of the topic they're arguing and then weigh the evidence visually as you sort them.  There are TONS of options!

If you try it, let me know how you use it!  I have a feeling that the possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm... Belinda was telling me about this after her sessions with you. I may have to look into this. Improving my technology is a goal for this year. Thanks for another great idea!

    Blessings,
    Becky from
    CookingUpSuccess

    ReplyDelete