Monday, April 20, 2015

Monday Made It - VIP Table

I'm linking up with Tara at 4th Grade Frolics for this week's Monday Made It!

I saw the idea for having a VIP table somewhere - if it was you, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due - and I thought it'd be the perfect shot in the arm that my behavior plan needs this time of year.  You know.  When nothing.  Is.  Working.  Anyone else?

I started the year with Class Dojo, and around Christmas time I switched back to the clip chart.  The kids needed a visual reminder of where they were, and it was just more efficient to clip someone up or down than it was to get the iPad, start the app, find the kid, award or detract points, etc.

So, if a kid gets to the top of the clip chart, he or she gets to sit at the VIP table the following day!

All I did is use some existing table space and just pretty it up.  The banner matches the banner on my window treatment.  I found the runner at Hobby Lobby, the flowers are from Dollar Tree and put into a can covered with wrapping paper, the stools are from Ikea (I added the cushioned tops), and the caddy holds lots of fun school supplies.  

In it, I have erasable colored pencils, my favorite Friction pens, mechanical pencils, little Post-Its, pencil grips, scented erasers, and page flags.

I also have my iPads over here.  Kids at the VIP table can listen to kid-friendly music on Pandora with headphones while they do independent work - as long as they can handle it, of course.

Here's one of my sweeties working hard on a test prep activity at the VIP table.

The VIP table has gotten rave reviews from the kids - they tell me that I need to start it at the beginning of the year for next year's kiddos - and they do try really hard to get to the top of the chart so they can sit there.  I've found that more than two at a time back there don't work, so if I have more than two, I just ask the others to wait a day to sit back there.  So far, it hasn't been a problem.

Easy, fun, and inexpensive.  My favorite kind of reward!!



No comments:

Post a Comment